Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS on Windows

2008-04-22 18:12:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS on Windows
From: Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:07:22 +1000
Scott Bingham wrote:
Hello all,

. Vista is supported by NetWorker Client 7.4 and later.

. Microsoft requires that VSS be used for backups for Vista and Windows
Server 2008, and later.

. Both NetWorker Client and NMM ("NetWorker Module for Microsoft
Applications" -- previously known as VSS Client) support VSS mechanisms.
NMM uses VSS exclusively for protecting the OS and applications, while
NetWorker Client allows you to turn off VSS if the client OS version
allows.

. Windows XP provided an early, different version of VSS, and VSS is not
supported on Windows XP by NetWorker or NMM.

Thanks for that very informative post, Scott. So from what you have said it seems that there is no way to backup open files on Windows XP, is this correct? But if I get the clients to upgrade to Vista, I can use VSS to back them up including open files.

Thanks,

Nick

--
Nick Tan