Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO drives and NetWorker 7.3.x

2008-04-16 10:12:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO drives and NetWorker 7.3.x
From: "Greggs, Dana" <c-dgreggs AT STATE.PA DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:06:37 -0400
Frank,

As already stated the commands are the same on Windows as Linux, my
output if from a Windows 2003 Networker Server.

My drives in this case are scsi attached LTO2 drives in a FC attached
Library. I can give you the output from FC attached drives in a FC
attached Library if you wish.

Output of commands shown below:

================Begin Output==========================
Getting Status with Tape in Drive
mt -f \\.\tape0 status
\\.\tape0:
        Media Capacity  = 18.63GByte
        Media Remaining = 13.35GByte
        Media Blocksize = 0
        Media Partition Count = 1
        Media is not write protected
        default blocksize = 65536
        maximum blocksize = 1048576
        minimum blocksize = 1
        MaximumPartitionCount = 1
        Partition = 0
        Logical block position = 638254
        EOTWarningZoneSize = 0
        CompressionEnabled
        Features:
                Performs SHORT erase operation
                Performs LONG erase operation
                Performs IMMEDIATE erase operation
                Can report maximum tape capacity
                Can report amount of tape remaining
                Support FIXED block length mode
                Support VARIABLE block length mode
                Returns errors on write if tape is write - protected
                Performs Hardware Error Correction
                Supports hardware data compression
                Can provide current absolute device block address
                Can provide current logical block address and partition
                Can physically load and / or unload tape
                Support PREVENT / ALLOW Media Removal
                Performs IMMEDIATE rewind operations
                Allows Setting FIXED LENGTH or VARIABLE block sizes
                Performs IMMEDIATE Load / Unload operations
                Allows hardware data compression to be enabled /
disabled
                Can position tape to an absolute physical block
                Performs IMMEDIATE absolute block positioning
                Can position tape to a logical block(and partition)
                Performs IMMEDIATE logical block positioning
                Can position tape to END of RECORDED DATA
                Can perform tape record positioning(backwards /
forwards)
                Can perform tape file positioning(backwards / forwards)
                Can move backwards across records or filemarks or
setmarks
                Can write FILEMARKS
                Performs IMMEDIATE tape mark write operations

cdi_get_status -f \\.\tape0
CDI_GET_STATUS returns:
DRIVE_STATUS_READY
current density code = 42
position is absolute block number 0

mt -f \\.\tape0 offline

Getting Status without Tape in Drive

mt -f \\.\tape0 status
\\.\tape0:
Current Status: No media in drive.

        default blocksize = 65536
        maximum blocksize = 1048576
        minimum blocksize = 1
        MaximumPartitionCount = 1
[...]
operation status on \\.\tape0 failed: The device is not ready.

cdi_get_status -f \\.\tape0

CDI_GET_STATUS returns:
DRIVE_STATUS_NEED_INIT
Sense key = 02, ASC = 04 ASCQ = 02

================End Output==========================

P.S. After taking it offline all you have to do to put it back online
is:

mt -f <tape device> online

Thanks,

Dana

On
> Behalf Of Francis Swasey
> Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:53 AM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: LTO drives and NetWorker 7.3.x
>
> I need a little assistance with a bigger hammer for certain support
> folks inside EMC...  I need people with LTO(1,2,3 or 4) tape drives to
> perform the following test for me:
>
> Please mount a tape in the drive, then perform the following series of
> commands (these are for linux, but solaris would be similar -- sadly,
> don't know the windows equivalents).  The series of commands will ask
> the drive for its status, eject the tape, and then ask for the drive
> status again:
>
> # get status
> mt -f <tape_device> status
> cdi_get_status -f <tape_device>
>
> # eject the tape
> mt -f <tape_device> offline
>
> # get status again
> mt -f <tape_device> status
> cdi_get_status -f <tape_device>
>
> Please if you would send that to me and tell me if your tape drives
are
> fibre attached or scsi attached, I'd appreciate it greatly.
>
> If you don't know how to get the tape back into the drive when you are
> finished, you can use the following command:
>
> cdi_load_unload -f <tape_device> -l
>
> or if you prefer (and it's an SJI library)
>
> sjimm c.h.s drive X drive X
>
> where c.h.s is the control port of the library, and X is the drive
number.

> Thanks,
> --
> Frank Swasey                    | http://www.uvm.edu/~fcs
> Sr Systems Administrator        | Always remember: You are UNIQUE,
> University of Vermont           |    just like everyone else.
>    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
(1854-1900)

type
networker-
> request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list.
You