Networker

Re: [Networker] Different pools VS ALL

2008-04-15 17:21:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Different pools VS ALL
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:16:10 +0100
Matthew C. Aycock wrote:
I am in the process of migrating from 7.2.2 to 7.4.1 on Solaris 10. As part of this upgrade I want to get rid of our old and archaic backup schedule. I want to get rid of listing our filesystems one by one and use the ALL saveset.

However, I need to backup data to two different pools. I have a couple of project spaces that get backed up directly to tape and bypass our ADD devices. My first thought was to place a .nsr directive at a level /global/proj level to skip evertying below it. Then, I would list only those project file systems at /global/proj/proj1 .. /global/proj/projN into the backup client. However it appears that this causes the data to be skipped as it seems that all .nsr files are processed starting at the root which is not what I expected. It does make sense though.

My next thought is to use pre/post processing to remove and put back the .nsr directive file. I have not tested this, but it seems like a pretty big hammer for a small problem.

So, I guess the question is "How are you handling the backup of the same client going to multiple backup pools?"

In this case .nsr files are not the best solution. In fact they are rarely the best solution for anything as they are locally controlled and don't have visibility from the server.

You can accomplish this very easily by using global directives. Create a client using All and apply a custom directive to this which skips your project area. Create another client which specifies your project directories and use a standard directive. Nothing more complicated is required.