Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning question

2008-04-15 09:10:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning question
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:04:29 -0400
On 4/14/08 4:13 PM, Bruce Breidall wrote:
Assume that I manually cloned a saveset that has a browse and retention of 91 days, but the clone pool has a retention of 3 days. If I cloned that savest today, the ssretent would be today +91, and the clretent would be today+3.

When it is time to figure out which volumes to pick to come back onsite, and you used mminfo to determine which volumes in the clone pool have "expired" in terms of the clretent", could you then just relable that tape into your SCRATCH pool and mark it recyclable without messing with the original savesets that have a much greater retention? Would it be better to set an actual ssretent on the cloned savesets via the nsrclone command, in addition to specifying the retention time on the clone pool?

I believe NetWorker will figure out which ones have expired based on the clretent and you will be fine with relabeling those tapes into your SCRATCH pool. If you change the ssretent, you change it for ALL clones of the ssid. Your description sounds like you don't want to do that.

What I am trying to do is separate clients by prod and test groups and pools, and manually clone only the prod data. Since we do fulls once per week, and L9s the other 6 days, I wanted to try and have a three week offsite rotation for the fulls and a 3 day rotation on the incrs.

If you only want the incrs for 3 days -- why bother to clone them at all?

Does this sound feasible to anyone? Thanks.