Networker

Re: [Networker] need to change clone id expiration date

2008-04-14 09:53:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] need to change clone id expiration date
From: "Landwehr, Jerome" <jlandweh AT HARRIS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:51:01 -0400
Actually I think I had it backwards, it's browse which is non-unique -
it's limited to be less than or equal to the shortest of any retentions
of clones

from nsrmm:

     -w browse time
          Specifies the browse time for the  specified  save  set
          (supplied with the -S option).  Note that once the save
          set becomes recoverable, the browse  time  may  not  be
          changed.   The  browse  time should be specified in the
          format   that   is   acceptable   to    the    function
          nsr_getdate(1m).   The  browse time has to be after the
          insert time in the save set record, but  it  cannot  be
          after  the  retention  time.  If  the option -e was not
          used, the existing  retention  time  in  the  save  set
          record  is used for comparing with the specified browse
          time.  See under the option  -e  for  more  details  on
          retention time.

     -e time
          When used in conjunction with the -S  option,  it  sets
          the  clone  retention time of the specified save set or
          save set clone instance.  The retention time should  be
          specified in the format that is acceptable to the func-
          tion nsr_getdate(1m).  If a  clone  identifier  is  not
          specified  all  clone  instances  will  be updated with
          specified clone retention time. The save set  retention
          time   will   reflect  the  longest  recoverable  clone
          instance retention time.  It is possible  for  a  clone
          instance  to  have  a  retention  time less that browse
          time. However, the save set retention time may  not  be
          set  such  that  the  save  set would become recyclable
          while it is still browsable.  Refer to  the  -w  option
          for more details on browse time.  When used in conjunc-
          tion with  volumes,  the  volume  labeled  will  be  an
          Archive volume if the value of time is forever (Archive
          volumes mean that the volume label never expires).  Any
          other value of time are not applicable to a volume.

That's why it wouldn't work for us, we wanted one clone to expire after
a month, but another to be _browseable_ for 2 years.  So I had to make
them all browseable for 2 years and manually delete some.

My apologies!