Networker

Re: [Networker] Recycle to/from other pools

2008-04-11 13:46:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recycle to/from other pools
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:40:58 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
04/11/2008 12:24:39 PM:

> Francis Swasey wrote:
> > I have experimented with using the Recycle to/from other pools option
> > have a scratch pool that will automatically feed tapes into my clone
> > pools as required (allowing my operations staff to work on things
other
> > than daily checking the number of empty volumes in the clone pools and

> > manually moving tapes from scratch into the clone pool).
> >
> > The problem I have stumbled across is that because (for historical
> > reasons) we use the label templates (instead of having every tape
> > labeled with its barcode), I have found that when a tape is recycled
> > from the scratch pool into one of the clone pools that it retains the
> > label it had in the scratch pool.  Hence I now have an offsite tape
> > labeled "Scratch.0561" instead of "Offsite.10101" which is very bad
for
> > all the historical reasons we didn't choose to use barcode labels.
> >
> > Is there anyone that is using Recycle to/from other pools and is also
> > using label templates and has it working?
> >
> > Feel free to tell me it can't work the way I want too...
>
> I think you are in a minority of users who have bar codes but don't
> match them to labels.

Ooo, me, me! :-) I have 3 sites that have autochangers with no barcode
readers. So while we use the barcodes on the tapes, for our offsite
storage vendor, I have 3 label templates set up, one at each of those 3
sites. Otherwise, I'd have to manually label the tapes by hand-entering
the barcodes, and of course, I don't know which one the on-site techs have
put in ...

Back here at HW, our tape libraries have barcode readers, so no label
templates.

> If you had to say what was the correct behaviour in this situation, I
> think it would be a difficult and controversial decision. Some would say

> that it was totally wrong for a tape's label to change after
> relabelling, as it would make it very difficult to track the tape.
> Others might say that when relabelling a tape the label should follow
> the label template. Whichever way you decided you would not please
everyone.

I'd vote for option 2 ...