Networker

Re: [Networker] Recycle to/from other pools

2008-04-11 12:27:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recycle to/from other pools
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:24:39 +0100
Francis Swasey wrote:
I have experimented with using the Recycle to/from other pools option to have a scratch pool that will automatically feed tapes into my clone pools as required (allowing my operations staff to work on things other than daily checking the number of empty volumes in the clone pools and manually moving tapes from scratch into the clone pool).

The problem I have stumbled across is that because (for historical reasons) we use the label templates (instead of having every tape labeled with its barcode), I have found that when a tape is recycled from the scratch pool into one of the clone pools that it retains the label it had in the scratch pool. Hence I now have an offsite tape labeled "Scratch.0561" instead of "Offsite.10101" which is very bad for all the historical reasons we didn't choose to use barcode labels.

Is there anyone that is using Recycle to/from other pools and is also using label templates and has it working?

Feel free to tell me it can't work the way I want too...

I think you are in a minority of users who have bar codes but don't match them to labels.

If you had to say what was the correct behaviour in this situation, I think it would be a difficult and controversial decision. Some would say that it was totally wrong for a tape's label to change after relabelling, as it would make it very difficult to track the tape. Others might say that when relabelling a tape the label should follow the label template. Whichever way you decided you would not please everyone.

Is it nor possible for you to start matching barcodes? In my experience it is the best option except for where barcode readers are not available, such as on standalone drives or very low end libraries.