Networker

Re: [Networker] Setting multiple modes using nsrmm?

2008-04-09 15:01:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Setting multiple modes using nsrmm?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:58:31 +1000
On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:08:31PM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
I have a list of volumes that I want to set to be "readonly" and "manual".
I can't seem to find a way to set both with a single command. i.e.,

nsrmm -o readonly,manual 915733
6238:nsrmm: `readonly,manual' is not a valid flag

Yup.

It's not that big a deal to run the command twice (especially as I'm doing
it from a script, in a loop), but it seems odd that I can't set both
attributes at once. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Your expectations are too high.  :-)  As far as I know, one thing at a
time with nsrmm.

Indeed. Apparently we're not allowed to use nsrmm in such an efficient manner.

I remember asking about 5 years ago for an RFE to allow the specification of more than one SSID on the nsrmm command line, as I'd written a pool based recycling system that worked from v5 onwards, rather than waiting until 7.3 for EMC/Legato to implement it. The time taken to flag individual savesets as recyclable (approx 1.5 seconds per saveset in those days, even on a fast machine) was a major performance impact on an otherwise fine program.

The official response was a polite form of "bugger off". I think the preference is to leave nsrmm alone as much as possible :-)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy", due out August 15 2008:

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=