Networker

[Networker] upgrade path

2008-04-07 13:57:10
Subject: [Networker] upgrade path
From: schweeb <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:53:23 -0400
It isn't necessarily a marketing ploy, there are legitimate reasons to
integrate.

First, EMC intends to fully integrate Avamar into the Legato platform in the
long run, as far as I can tell from speaking with my guys.

Second, if you currently have a Legato infrastructure, and plan on adding
Avamar to only a portion of your infrastructure (i.e. remote office),
scheduling and maintaining Avamar from within Legato gives you a single console
to manage all of your backups from, rather than having to open Avamar console
while you're already in Legato.  This also helps to consolidate reporting as
well, if you're using the internal reporting.

Third, if you would like to deploy Avamar, but it doesn't have the desired
application plugins (Lotus Notes, Exchange, whatever), by managing the backups
from within Networker, you can leverage all of its existing plugins.

I'm sure there are more, those are just a few.