Networker

Re: [Networker] Explain Backup Levels

2008-04-07 10:52:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Explain Backup Levels
From: Bruce Breidall <Bruce.Breidall AT CONCUR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 07:46:22 -0700
I am doing this in the schedule itself. However, depending on your DR
requirements, this may dictate setting up groups, schedules, and media
pools one way versus another. The problem with networker is that if you
don't make the right choices up front it is very difficult to change in
the future.

If you can't change the strategy you picked (and this listserv is about
the only mechanism to get networker input on), then you are forced to
use their query tool and create complicated, hard to manage mminfo
scripts on the DR side.

A great example is prod servers vs. test servers. If you want to
separate that data in what you copy offsite for DR, then you had to have
either created prod and test groups for servers, or incorporate some
sort of complicated layer in your DR scripts to determine what servers
to query for savesets, using nsradmin (another goofy networker layer).