Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup failing with saveset having large number of files.

2008-04-03 09:30:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup failing with saveset having large number of files.
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 08:26:38 -0500
Hello,
Set it to Zero, Large NDMP or NAS have this issue, is it possible to break
up the backups into separate savesets, i,e by qtree, folders etc ?
We still run into the problem once in a while with FULL backups of large
NAS shares, avoid running the large savesets if you can, by rearranging
group starttime, schedule etc.
I typically set Group time-outs for NDMP to zero and force incremental to
off ( so that if the group gets restarted, incremental backups will not
results in FULL)
Above scenario is relevant to Netapp NDMP backups and may be helpful with
other NAS also, so test before implementing it.
Note: Incremental backups of NDMP ( We use NDMP V-4) will result in FULL
backups, so use Differential schedule on NDMP.
HTH

shahidqavi <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/03/2008 02:22 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] Backup failing with saveset having large number of files.

Thanx Shyam for a quick reply,

Backup of other Filesystems on same host is fine. Only it failed with
large no. of files.
How much should be the inactivity time out. I have set it to 60 min but
still it fails.
Is there any harm if I leave it 0 (no inactivity time limit)?

Thanx & Regards,
Shahid

shyamhegde wrote:
> What error the group failed with ?
> Is it backing up other filesystems of the same client which have fewer
> files?
>
> In that case, you might try increasing 'Group Inactivity Timeout' on
group
> resource. Client might be taking too long time to return to NetWorker
> server's call with job list, as in your case you have too many files on
the
> file system.
>
> -Shyam
>

> On 4/3/08, shahidqavi <networker-forum < at > backupcentral.com> wrote:
>

> > I have a web server with many customer websites on it. So i have a
very
> > large number of files (approx. 1.5 million) in one file systems.
> > Backup is failing for this file system.
> > Groups Detail windows shows backup failed, while the save session
under
> > session window is showing saveset still running. It never finished.
> > No error is logged.
> > I think it is unable to save the index. Any idea what can be done?
> >
> > Thanx in advance for help.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Shahid Qavi

> > |This was sent by shahidqavi < at > gmail.com via Backup Central.
> > |Forward SPAM to abuse < at > backupcentral.com.

> > "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to
> > networker-request < at > listserv.temple.edu if you have any problems
with this
> > list. You can access the archives at
> > http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or
> > via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER

|This was sent by shahidqavi AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

type