Networker

Re: [Networker] Can you run scanner on multiple tapes in the same saveset simultaneously? - YES

2008-04-03 09:21:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can you run scanner on multiple tapes in the same saveset simultaneously? - YES
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:13:00 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
04/01/2008 12:26:08 PM:

> In regard to: Re: [Networker] Can you run scanner on multiple tapes in
the...:

> > Yeah, EMC had told me the same thing. Then again, I've had EMC tell me
1
> > or 2 things that didn't work the way they said it woulod, so ...
>
> :-|  Exactly the reason I never tried it to confirm.  I figured it was
> better to do it the slower way that I knew would work rather than try
> scanning saveset components in parallel only to find that it didn't work
> and I needed to go the slower route anyway.

I've found that this does work .. I did a "scanner -i -S ssid#" on 2 tapes
simultaneously. There were 3 tapes in this saveset, but I left tape#2 to
ask for tape #3 when it finished with tape #2. When tape #1 ended, and
asked for tape #2, I just broke the scanning (CTRL ^C).

I then was able to do a restore - 1 file, 180M in size, from this 280G
saveset.

So you can run "scanner -i" in parallel, apparently.

(of course, with my luck, the file came from tape #1, which would
invalidate the test, I think :-))

Just thought I'd share