Networker

Re: [Networker] nsradmin - external editors are not yet supported

2008-04-02 12:48:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsradmin - external editors are not yet supported
From: Scott Harney <scott.harney AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:33:30 -0500
The way you're running it, "nsradmin "type:nsr jukebox", pops up an editor
on linux/solaris boxes because the unix envrionment variable $EDITOR exists
in those environments.

     edit [query]
          Edit the resources that match the current query.  If  a
          query  is  specified, it becomes the current query.  If
          the environment variable EDITOR is set, then that  edi-
          tor  will  be invoked, otherwise vi(1) will be started.
          When the editor exits, nsradmin applies update,  delete
          and  create  operations  based  on  the  changes to the
          resources. Be careful to not edit the resource identif-
          ier attribute, and to write the file out before exiting
          the editor. (UNIX Only)

     visual  [query]
          Enter a full-screen mode using the curses(3) package to
          step  through  commands in a perhaps more user-friendly
          manner than the command line interface.   You  can  get
          this  mode directly using the -c command line argument.
          (UNIX Only)

you should be able to edit with a batch file, however.

Now Davina said:

> However: at 7.3.x and above you cannot edit jukebox resources from
> nsradmin anyway. Well you can, but the changes are ignored. I confess to
> total ignorance about how this now works, can anyone enlighten me please?

And that's just not the case.  We use nsradmin in 7.3.x to edit jukebox
resources all the time.  Most administration we do is via nsradmin and we
just use the GUI as a visual aid and monitoring.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Bruno Meignant <bruno.meignant AT magirus DOT
com>