Networker

Re: [Networker] Backups of Large clients 1+ TBs

2008-04-01 16:17:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backups of Large clients 1+ TBs
From: Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:13:25 -0400
I think you are asking the question many of us are dealing with right
now..........what direction do you go?

We have gig connections, but we have more and more data we need to backup.  Do
we spend money and resources on a VTL....that still means managing tapes.  Do
we spend money on a de-dupe solution?  You can eliminate tapes if you don't
HAVE to send stuff offsite but way more expensive than a VTL environment.
Storage nodes will help offload some of the work and storage for the networker
server, but its a license cost.

Right now for us, with so many OSs (Microsoft, Linux, and Netware), we are
looking at a data deduplication solution....a hardware solution and not
software based like Avamar.  Avamar currently can't dedupe SQL or Exchange.
I'm sure it will eventually, but that could be a year away.

It's a mystery rapped inside of an enigma.... I think it really is based on
your budget to decide which way to go.

Kevin

>>> sunman1 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> 4/1/2008 10:09 AM >>>
What is a standard configuration with NetWorker to backup a system with a large
amount of data?  We have systems with 600-1000MB file systems, and MSSQL
systems with 2-4TBs of data. With our 100BaseT network connections these
clients can take days to backup.  What is a better way, GigE, StorageNodes,
VTLs, Data Deduplication...?