Networker

Re: [Networker] Backups of Large clients 1+ TBs

2008-04-01 16:05:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backups of Large clients 1+ TBs
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:01:12 -0400
On Apr 1, 2008, at 10:09 AM, sunman1 wrote:
What is a standard configuration with NetWorker to backup a system with a large amount of data? We have systems with 600-1000MB file systems, and MSSQL systems with 2-4TBs of data. With our 100BaseT network connections these clients can take days to backup. What is a better way, GigE, StorageNodes, VTLs, Data Deduplication...?

This depends on your needs. How fast do you want to recover the data? GigE would be a big step up from your current network, but even more potent would be any of the other options you listed. Which option to go with depends a lot on your environment and budget. What is the configuration of the NetWorker server you are using now to back up this client? What kind of tape library do you have? How far apart are the client and server? Do you do hot backups or cold of your SQL data?