Networker

Re: [Networker] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about NW

2008-04-01 11:25:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about NW
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:18:41 +0000
On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 10:12:07AM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
> EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
> 04/01/2008 05:57:49 AM:
>
>> "Read-onlyness," the difference between making a tape read-only in
>> NetWorker vs. setting the physical write protect tab, and the fact
>> that making a tape read-only in NetWorker will not prevent it from
>> being relabeled.
>
> I guess I'm misunderstanding. What do you mean by this? What difference? I
> usually end up doing both - marking the tape RO in NetWorker, and setting
> the physical write-protect tab. The fact that a RO tape can be relabeled
> is a surprise to me (never had to do that). It's a bit of a disquieting
> surprise, at that.

"read-only" in Networker means that the tape will no longer have data
added to it (it's no longer "appendable"), but it doesn't mean that the
tape can't be relabled.  It's actually very similar to marking a tape
'full'.  Or if you're coming from NetBackup, to marking a tape
'suspended'.

If you're looking to protect data within Networker, don't select
'read-only'.  Choose 'manual recycle'.  Then even if the volume expires,
Networker won't select it for automatic recycling.