Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP addresses

2008-03-29 10:26:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem backing up a server with multiple IP addresses
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:17:02 -0400
This has been resolved. For some reason, the Linux client isn't working properly with the way it looks up the IP address for my NSR server. I spent an hour on the phone with my network manager while sniffing packets on the client and server and viewing the DNS server's logs. Nothing useful arose from that exercise. Just as I was about to go home at 6:00pm, EMC called. We spent the better part of three hours on the phone and webexing and we discovered that plugging in the backup server's IP address (not hostname) into the client's server network interface field seems to have fixed the problem. A full backup ran last night to completion.

I have no idea why the client isn't doing DNS look ups properly, but it just seems to involve my NSR server. Since the client is Temple's main web server, its safe to assume our help desk would be deluged with calls from users if this DNS issue was further reaching, but I do still intend to find out what's at the bottom of this on Monday.