Networker

[Networker] SCSI inventory: EMC INQ utility -vs- Networker "inquire" command

2008-03-27 21:25:19
Subject: [Networker] SCSI inventory: EMC INQ utility -vs- Networker "inquire" command
From: Lee Roth <bwc_lr1 AT easy48 DOT com>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:15:36 -0400
Networker for Unix (Solaris) V7.4

Background:

I have an ongoing issue with every semi-annual disaster recovery drill
that I do at a remote disaster service site: I cannot get Networker to
"see" the IBM 3584 tape library, but it can see all of the individual
drives. This library is a supported library under NSRJB as far as I can
tell.

This site has all of their Sun servers connected via fiber to a fiber
patch panel, and then fiber-to-copper-SCSI converters to the actual
equipment. This enables them to have a very flexible environment for
connecting peripherals to systems.

I am using a prebuilt (by the disaster site staff) Solaris install upon
which I install Networker for the recovery drill. The site pre-installs
the drivers for their fiber interface cards.

Running the "inquire" command at this site reveals all SCSI peripherals
except for the IBM 3584 tape library.

---

Before the next recovery drill, I want the site tech staff to ensure that
things are working properly, so I am going to ask them to pre-test so that
they can tell me the correct c.t.d (Controller, Target id, LUN) for the
tape library before I arrive.

I was thinking of having them run some type of "scsi scan" utility as a
verification that the tape drive/drivers are all in readiness, so I went
looking for one that wouldn't involve an entire install of Networker
Server to get the "inquire" command.

On the EMC support site I found the "INQ utility" (
ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/symm3000/inquiry/ ); description: The Inquiry
utility (INQ) is a command-line troubleshooting utility that displays
information on storage devices, typically Symmetrix. By default, INQ
returns the device name, Symmetrix ID, Symmetrix LUN, and capacity. This
utility will operate independently of any other EMC software. Use the INQ
Utility to collect system information to provide to EMC Global Services
for problem troubleshooting.

I put this "INQ" utility onto my Networker server and run it... it sees
all devices *except* for my tape library (SUN/Storagetek SL500) - why will
it not see the library?

If I run the Networker "inquire" command that is installed as part of EMC
Networker, then it finds all devices *including* the tape library.

---
So, am I right in assuming that the Networker "inquire" command goes just
a little bit deeper than does the INQ utility and is able to find the LUN
ID for my SL500 tape library?

Sorry for the very long post... if anyone knows of a separate SCSI
inventory utility that can "sniff out" the tape library I'd appreciate
knowing which one.

Yea, it will be a PITA for the recovery site tech support staff to install
Networker Server just to use the "inquire" command, but it will be worth
it if that is what has to be done to ensure that their OS and drivers are
ready for me when I arrive for the disaster drill.

Thanks!