Networker

[Networker] Invalid argument warning during backup?

2008-03-19 20:13:24
Subject: [Networker] Invalid argument warning during backup?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:07:49 -0400
Hi,

NetWorker logged several messages the other day while cloning some save sets. The messages look like this:

03/18/08 05:23:19 nsrd: media warning: rd=snode:/dev/nst3 writing: Invalid argument, at file 106 record 10923

We received several of these for 3 of the 4 tape devices. The backups seemed to complete OK, however, and the ssflags, sumflags, and clflags indicate nothing suspicious. The save sets are very large, however, so recovering them and subsequently validating them will take some time, but we intend to do that. Not sure what to make of it if everything
checks out. If not, not clear on what caused this?

In the meantime, does anyone know what causes these messages and what they mean?

I have seen the "Invalid argument" error before when attempting to unload a drive if NetWorker thinks there should be at tape in there and there isn't. That to me makes sense, but this is the first I've seen it when the drive is actually
writing data.

We're running 7.2.2.Build.422. Primary backup server is Solaris 9 with two RH Linux snodes, at same NW release
We're using a STK L80 tape library with four IBM LTO-3 drives (LVD SCSI).

Would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210