Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Pull Inquiry

2008-03-19 19:10:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Pull Inquiry
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:03:29 -0400
On Mar 19, 2008, at 6:55 PM, Howard, Patrick wrote:

Greetings All:

I am currently having my staff run the following command right before
they "package" our tapes to be sent to offsite vendor.

The problem we are seeing is we are missing tapes, if it's writing when we create the list, we ignore the tape, and we are finding that it does
not get picked up on the next day.  Does ANYONE have a better solution
to ensure we are picking up all of our onsite tapes to go offsite.

I do a similar thing, but what I do is generate a list of tapes that are in a tape pool which is devoted to off-site tapes, then I check the tape drives to verify if the tapes are loaded. If the tapes are loaded, but not writing, I unload them, then withdraw them. This, of course, is done by a perl script and I run it on a Linux storage node. You are welcome to have a copy of my script if you are interested. Its not perfect. One thing I need to improve is verifying that the tapes the script claims will be sent off-site are actually withdrawn from my tape library. If a tape gets stuck in a drive, my script does not account for that condition, so that's where it needs some improvement.