Networker

Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups

2008-02-28 13:47:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:45:37 -0600
Hello,
You heard it right, the NDMP backups create snapshot ( atlest on Netapp)
but this snapshots are temporary in nature and they are only being used
for backup, in case of DR you will need ndmp backups to restore from,
unless netapp is replicated it wont help to do snapshot alone.
Also, the backups will effect your system performance even while utilizing
snapshots, so you do want either good NDMP solution with direct attached
tapes or robust network if you use DSA method so that you can finish the
backups in timely manner.
HTH

tkutil <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/28/2008 11:05 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] Long NDMP Backups

Thanks to every one for all of your great suggestions. Our first step is
to team the network connection on the Networker server and the switch to
increase throughput as well as implement jumbo frames. After that we'll
determine what other suggestions to implement.

One thing that I'm curious about that may make this whole subject a moot
point is how Networker handles NDMP. I can't remember where I heard this,
most likely from this forum, but does Networker NDMP create a snapshot of
the volume and then backup that snapshot? I see that in the logs and if
that is so, do I care how long the backup takes if it is truly a snapshot
and not the live data?

|This was sent by troy.kutil AT milwaukeetool DOT com via Backup Central.

type