Networker

Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups

2008-02-28 12:34:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Long NDMP Backups
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:31:28 -0500
It depends on your backup window. For example, we prefer the full backups to
take less than 8 hours, that way if we have to do Saturday maintenance, we
aren't waiting on the backups to finish. Also, the longer the backups take, the
harder it is to redo if there is an error during the backups.

As far as it is using snapshots, the one thing to be aware of is that because
it creates a snapshot if someone deletes a bunch of data, the snapshot will
become large (in order to capture the previous state). If someone is deleting
disk space because the filer is near full and the backups are still running,
the delete won't free up any space. Remember that snapshots created for backups
aren't limited by the snapshot reservation % that you set up.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.otaotr.com     | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139