Networker

Re: [Networker] Compression on Win2003 servers question

2008-02-26 09:30:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Compression on Win2003 servers question
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:22:01 -0600
Hello,
There are different ways to handle compression, i prefer letting the
Hardware  ( Tapes) handle it ( The utilities\program that comes with your
Tape Library or Device\driver will let you set the compression).
I would consider compression directive on the client when backing up over
WAN or using replication technologies.
Other concern is a server that is already slow with large amt of small
file will further slow down on backups while applying compression ( within
software) directive.

"Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/25/2008 03:20 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
"Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Compression on Win2003 servers question

Michael,

The compressibility of data is pretty variable depending on what you're
backing up.  Some things are very compressible and others are not.  When
you turn on the compression directive in Networker it compresses the
data on the client before sending it to the server and so reports the
amount of compressed data it receives, not the original amount of data
uncompressed.

For instance I use the "NT with compression" directive on our main file
server.  For the three large drives on the file server we get the
following results:
                                 Networker               Win Exp.
Compression%
                 E:\             218GB                           282GB
22.7%
                 F:\             191GB                           285GB
33.0%
                 G:\             132GB                           183GB
37.9%

The Networker column is what is reported on the SaveGroup Completion
report and the Windows Explorer column is from right clicking on the
drive letter and clicking Properties.  I calculated the compression by
(W-N)/W where N is the Networker number and W in the Windows number,
hope that's the right way to do it.

Hope this helps.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.