Networker

Re: [Networker] inquire cannot see tape devices but Solaris OS can

2008-02-21 16:41:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] inquire cannot see tape devices but Solaris OS can
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:36:45 +0200
  Quoting myself from a thread on May 2007:

If the HBA's PCI inquiry string is not in lus.conf, inquire will not show the devices. I had a similar issue with an Emulex 9802 HBA on a Sparc 280R with Solaris 9. What you need to do is (that's of course after the proper installation of HBA drivers, zoning or any other OS related issues):

Run lusbinfo and find out the inquiry string of your HBA (my two Emulex shows up as pci10df,f9800 and pci10df,f9801):

# lusbinfo
# busses: 7
Bus #0 is 'pci1000,f0', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #1 is 'pci1000,f1', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #2 is 'pci10df,f9800', dma_max=-1, initiator ID=255, ntargets=32, nluns=8, lus cloning enabled

Bus #3 is 'pci1077,10162', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #4 is 'pci1077,10163', dma_max=16777215, initiator ID=7, ntargets=16, nluns=7

Bus #5 is 'fp0', dma_max=16777216, initiator ID=127, ntargets=126, nluns=7

Bus #6 is 'pci10df,f9801', dma_max=-1, initiator ID=255, ntargets=32, nluns=8, lus cloning enabled

You need to edit /usr/kernel/drv/lus.conf and add this to the end of the known-scsi-adapters strings pci10df,f980:32-8C . Notice that you need to omit the last digit. The 32 is number of targets on the bus and 8 is max luns per targets. C stands for cloning (whatever that means, this was suggested for the Emulex 9000 cards, so I figured it will be suitable here as well). Anyhow, all these are documented in the file itself.

mark wragge wrote:
Hi, I am stuck on a problem using 2 * HP Ultrium 3 tape devices on a solaris 8
server. The Solaris server can see the tape devices and they are created in
/dev/rmt. I can also see the correct tape drive info in the messages log file
on boot up.
When I run the inquire command I do not see the devices and a scan of the storage node using the NMC finds no devices. I have looked at st.conf and lus.conf but i think that is the OS can see the tape devices then these files are set correctly. The tape devices are fibre devices presented through a qlogic 2300 HBA. I am using networker 7.3.3. What could be causing the inquire command to not see the tape devices? thanks

-- Yaron.