Networker

Re: [Networker] What level is a differential backup?

2008-02-20 16:53:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] What level is a differential backup?
From: Geoffrey Duke <Geoffrey.Duke AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:40:17 -0500
Level backups back up "files that have changed since the last backup with a
lower-numbered backup level." A Full backup is level 0. You could implement
a differential backup with a Full and subsequent Level Ns, if N is constant.

You could also do layered differentials, e.g.:

Week 1:
Full
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5

Weeks 2,3,4:
  Level 3
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5
    Level 5

The first week, each level 5 backs up everything that has changed since the
Full, as a classic "differential" would. In subsequent weeks, the Level 3s
back up everything that has changed since the Full. The Level 5s, though,
back up those files that have changed since the most recent Level 3.

With a model like this, you would need at most three savesets to restore to
a particular point in time: one full, possibly one level 3, and one level 5.

There are some pretty pictures in the Admin Guide, Chapter 4, Backup Levels.

Hope that helps

--Geoff

Geoffrey Duke
802.656.1172 | System Administrator | Enterprise Architecture &
Administration | University of Vermont