Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.1.1->7.3.3 upgrade has gone horribly wrong

2008-02-11 15:01:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.1.1->7.3.3 upgrade has gone horribly wrong
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:56:06 -0600
Hello,
You did not mention how the new server's devices were reconfigured, if
still not working  try deleting all Devices ( if you have time ) and
reengineer them.
Can you use MT or other cmd to verify device functionality ?
THT

Ian G Batten <ian.batten AT UK.FUJITSU DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/05/2008 10:14 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Ian G Batten <ian.batten AT UK.FUJITSU DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] 7.1.1->7.3.3 upgrade has gone horribly wrong

As another datapoint, I can back up the NSR server to its own
storage.  So it's not _totally_ broken.

ian

On 05 Feb 08, at 1520, Ian G Batten wrote:

> I wanted to remove our our Networker server, an E450 running
> Solaris 8 and Networker 7.1.1.  The only storage is a couple of
> local disk devices (bootstraps and index backups go there, then are
> cloned to remote tape, as a workaround for the networker server not
> having tape devices).
>
> The replacement is a V240 running Solaris 10 and Networker 7.3.3
> (7.4 seems a bit new).
>
> Tape storage is on a distinct node, Solaris 10 + 7.1.1, driving an
> ADIC 100.  I intend to upgrade that to 7.3.3 or 7.4 when the main
> networker node is finished.
>
> I installed the relevant packages on the V240, moved /var/nsr over,
> set up an entry for the networker server, applied all the new
> licenses against the new host id, made sure that the server
> references itself as the license server.
>
> And nothing works.
>
> My test client is running Solaris 10 and 7.3.3, but I have a
> mixture of 7.3.3, 7.1.1 and one 6.1.4 (Sparc 10, which won't run 7).
>
> There are no error messages.  I can start a group using nmc, and
> all the client savesets go into `contacting client' state, and then
> hang.  save is sometimes started on the remote client, but makes no
> progress.  Nothing is logged client, server, nmc.  I can see the
> storage server from the NMC, and nsrjb -s backup-srv works from the
> storage server, so I'm confident the various machines are seeing
> each other.  If I deliberately break the pool the test backup is
> going into, so that the Default pool would be selected (which has
> no media in it) then I get messages telling me to load a Default
> piece of media.  But if the saveset matches a valid pool, there is
> total silence.
>
> Fortunately I have the E450 on ice, so I can simply revert to that
> at any time.  But if anyone has helpful hints, please let me have
> them!
>
> ian
>
> To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu
> and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write
> to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems
> with this list. You can access the archives at http://
> listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

type