Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.1.1->7.3.3 upgrade has gone horribly wrong

2008-02-06 07:06:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.1.1->7.3.3 upgrade has gone horribly wrong
From: Ian G Batten <ian.batten AT UK.FUJITSU DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:01:30 +0000
On 05 Feb 08, at 2305, Peter Viertel wrote:

I'm Pretty sure you have to upgrade the storage node to 7.3.3 at the
same time as the server...

This turned out to be the problem. This morning we installed 7.3.3 on the storage server, having overnight put on Solaris 10.latest (it was running Solaris 10 FCS plus point patches).

The combination came up very easily, thanks mostly to the move from lus to sgen in Networker (configuring lus to work correctly was a swine when we built the machine originally). We were writing tape (rather quickly: better than 50MB/sec) within about half an hour of the install finishing.

I think it's a little remiss that the 7.3.3 server doesn't log ``Hang on, that storage node is running 7.1.1, that won't work'', but anyway, we're all sorted. And we were going to upgrade the storage node anyway, so all it's cost us is an overnight re-install.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

ian