Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning/migrating from AFTD with multiple clones - first clone gets removed from DB

2008-01-31 18:14:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning/migrating from AFTD with multiple clones - first clone gets removed from DB
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:08:45 +1100
As you have discovered nsrmm -d  -S {ssid} deletes all the clones... Not
useful..

Nsrmm -d -S {ssid/cloneid}     works fine, but the trick here is that
there are two cloneids for the aftd version - the RW device, and the RO
device... The big secret here is to delete just the RW cloneid, not the
RO one...  When the process is finished deleting all the savesets you
follow it up either by running 'nsrstage -C -V {volume}'  or  ' nsrmm -X
-V {volume}.RO' to reclaim the diskspace.

There is a difference between using nsrstage -C   and nsrim -x...
Nsrstage does not work if theres an active write session on that volume,
but on the other hand it can work when the volume has had all of it's
savesets deleted.    Nsrim -X  works even when there's writing
happening, but does nothing if you've just removed the last saveset...
Neither can reclaim space while a read is happening however...

It may seem tempting to try deleting both the aftd cloneids - it will
let you, but then you will never get your disk space back unless you
relabel the volume...

This all relates to versions up to 7.2.2.     so far 7.3.3 appears to
have the same behaviour, although I'm hoping they've fixed the
reclaiming of disk space while cloning...

A big caveat here!   Just because you have copies>2   does not mean
they're all GOOD copies..   You should take care not to delete the disk
copy until you are sure the tape based ones are complete   - i check
clflags is blank on the tape clone before deleting.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.