Networker

Re: [Networker] duplicate name; pick new name or delete old one

2008-01-30 05:14:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] duplicate name; pick new name or delete old one
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:10:59 +1100
Hi, I finally got a solution for this that works for us, in any case.

What we were doing previously was running the recycle as part of a Perl script that did all the savegrps. This is a good way for us as it gives granular control over the schedules and groups which Legato's own scheduler does not. And we can stop and start
and restart failed jobs this way.

As part of this script it would do an mminfo lookup and find volumes who had reached expiry and then pass the details to nsrjb and recycle them, using the options: "nsrjb -YRL -b"Pool" -S slotid"
and then "nsrmm -yo recyclable volid" was run.

This appears to work great for several dozen iterations but after a volume was recycled this way so many times, I think something in the media information was getting skewed, so I rewrote the recycle part of the script to totally discard the media information and return the volume as an empty unlabeled disk with no media entry.

This is done by running "nsrmm -yd volid" and it then shows no media entry in the database. Then we recycle the volume as above
with nsrjb but leave off the "-R" and not mark the volume as Recyclable.

Instead the volume is marked "undef" and has no media entry until it is next written to, but it is part of a Pool and therefore usable.

This has no issue, because we didn't want to keep media info for recycled volumes, now it looks just like a brand new one with no previous entries. So far I've been running like this for months without a single "duplicate entry" error and the vols recycle pretty well everytime and are always available.

I can post details of the script, but I wouldn't warrant the way
we do it anywhere else, but it is working great for us.

I think there may be a bug in nsrmm or mminfo or something that causes the problem when a vol is recycled many times and relabeled and then marked recycled. Maybe the media index isn't completely purged and so there are stale volids somewhere in the system but nsrmm -yd strips all the info and the volume is then totally "free" and unfettered without any legacy information.....

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT