Networker

Re: [Networker] device getting disabled

2008-01-28 19:55:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] device getting disabled
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:52:38 +1100
So what it says is that when accessing /dev/rmt/0hbn it had a series of
errors 21 times in a row, doesn't have to be 21 of the same error - just
21 bad things happening.. Sometimes it's a bad tape or a WP tape,
sometimes it's a bad drive, and sometimes its bad transport...

In this case judging by the iostat output you *may* have a transport
problem - both drives are spitting out transport errors and drive 3 has
had some hard ones. If it's scsi, then I'd have a good hard look at the
cables and terminators..  A crooked plug or a bent pin are often the
cause here, but it could be a bad controller on any one of the devices
on the same scsi bus that's messing it up for all the devices.

> rmt/0           Soft Errors: 671 Hard Errors: 3 Transport Errors: 2254
> Vendor: HP       Product: Ultrium 1-SCSI   Revision: E3BR
> Serial No: C310P.31
> rmt/1           Soft Errors: 34 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 72
> Vendor: HP       Product: Ultrium 1-SCSI   Revision: E3BR Serial No:

I suggest posting the output of the inquire command to the list - that
will tell us which devices are sharing the bus with drive 0.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.