Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning parallelism

2008-01-23 12:24:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning parallelism
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:18:40 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Cloning parallelism, Yaron Zabary said (at...:

Funny, but Networker can and does utilize multiple processors. It runs a separate nsrmmd for each device, so if you have four LTO-3 drive I would expect each of them to be served by its own core on your typical quad core server.

Exactly what I was thinking.  NetWorker uses the classic UNIX model for
taking advantage of multiple processORS -- multiple processES.

Regardless of my above statements, I will be happy to see certain Networker commands become multi-threaded where possible (and needed), so you can add my name to your list of customers who ask that RFE. I would suggest, however, that you will provide EMC with a list of commands which you think will
benefit from such an effort (nsrndmp_2fh for example).

Well put.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)