Networker

[Networker] Question on Legato Autochanger licenses?

2008-01-22 19:40:27
Subject: [Networker] Question on Legato Autochanger licenses?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:37:53 -0500
Hi,

We have a Quantum M1800 tape library (two M1500s stacked) with a total of 42 slots and 4 drives, and we have a 1-64 slot Autochanger license. Legato's Autochangers go from: 1-32, 1-40, 1-64, ... However, slots 41-42 are currently being used for cleaner cartridges, so the jukebox is configured to only have slots 1-40 available. I don't mind giving up those two slots as usable data slots in favor of jettisoning the 1-64 slot license for a cheaper 1-40 slot license as long as this
won't cause Legato any complaints.

My plan was to upgrade an older 1-32 slot license (it's not being used) to a 1-40 slot license to reduce our cost on that and then upgrade the 1-64 slot license to a 1-128 to cover a larger slot library we're planning to buy soon.

I'm thinking that Legato will query the library to ensure that the reported slots are covered within one of our Autochanger licenses. When I ran the command: 'changers -l' on the snode managing the M1800, it reported the following:

1 MT Element  starting at address ...
40 ST Elements starting at address ...
4 DT Elements starting at address ...

I'm guessing this should work since the library reports 40 Storage Transport devices or slots. Should I test that the 1-40 slot license will work?

Would this be a reasonable test:
1. Add temporary 1-40 slot Autochanger license
2. Remove permanent 1-64 slot license (write down the enabler and auth codes first)
3. Stop and restart NW on snode and primary server
4. Test mechanics of library to ensure robot will load/unload tapes.

If everything works then re-add permanent 1-64 slot license and then remove temp license and stop/restart and re-check everything.
At that point, put in the request for the upgrades?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210