Networker

[Networker] Corrupt compressed (.bz2) file restores.

2008-01-16 15:27:22
Subject: [Networker] Corrupt compressed (.bz2) file restores.
From: Randy Doering <rdoering2 AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:21:04 -0500
Greetings, Have an interesting (if somewhat rather bizarre) issue.

Environment: RHEL 4.*, Networker Server 7.3.3. File system sets on a
Celerra/Clariion (CX700) combo.

User lets me know that he accidently partially deleted a subdirectly
containing many files. Not all of the files were deleted but that's not
relevent to this. I copied his old directory to a directoryname.orig. And
just restored the whole thing again, rather than trying to figure out what
had actually been deleted.

The user came back a day (or so) later and gave me a list of
553 "blast.bz2" files that were corrupted after my restore. In digging
into this and using bunzip2, I saw where some were indeed corrupt. And, I
could do some selective restores of a few and saw where they were not
corrupt.

How this has to do with Network, is that say I have a list of 100 of these
blast.bz2 files. I would put those in a file and have Networker do the
restore. When the restore finished, I would then do bunzip2 on each one,
and maybe 40-50 of 100 would be fine, while 50-60 would be corrupt. I then
would take the remaining that were corrupt, but them through recover
again, and then time maybe another 20-30 would be fine, etc. I would do
this until I got down to a single corrupted blast.bz2 file and then I
would be fine after another recover.

All of the data is being restored from the same exact SSID.

So why wouldn't the good files be restored the first time I tried it?

We've check for errors in the file system, and haven't found anything yet.

Thanks,

Randy