Networker

Re: [Networker] Tips for doing a DR at SunGard

2008-01-16 10:07:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tips for doing a DR at SunGard
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:00:54 -0500
On Jan 16, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Coty, Edward wrote:

I have done many tests at sunguard. I would do the following.

1) Make sure you have a valid bootstrap and all client indexes backed up
fully on the DR tapes.

I think I explained this unclearly. I am not interested in recovering my NetWorker server at SunGard.

In fact, recovering the entire server would be impossible as far as I can see because our production NetWorker server uses Sony SAIT-1 tapes and the DR server at SunGard uses LTO-3 media, which is what we use to back up this client's data to a storage node. I don't understand why I would need the bootstrap data since I don't care about recovering the actual NetWorker server, I just need to read the client's data off the LTO-3 tapes and call it a day.

2) Make sure your DR backup server had the same server name as your
production.

Thanks. Why would this be necessary if I am not interested in recovering the NetWorker server?

3) Since you only have one client to recover ask sunguard for a
standalone drive, if not just use the drives in the library but do not
configure the silo if you don't need it.

Why? The data will likely take at least 16 hours to read off tape. I would prefer not to have to swap out tapes manually if I can avoid it, but I certainly will, of course.

4) Install networker and run mmrecov and enter the information needed.
Make sure the tape is in the drive. Add the drive /dev/rmt/xxxx to the
base install of networker.

In light of the fact that my only interest here is reading the client's data, I doubt this would be necessary. In fact, now that I think about it, this exercise is more like moving data from one backup server to another, not a full DR exercise.

5) Once the DB has been recovered, stop networker, and rename the res
directories.
6) restart networker. Remove your jukebox and add the standalone drives.
Mount the tapes with the indexes and data.
7) Using the gui recover the index from the client in question from
tape. When done run nsrck -L6 clientname. You could also use nsrck -L7
clientname -t date.
8) Once the index is recovered you can do a browsable recovery.

That's cool, and I have had to do that twice in the past four months when my production server died on me twice, but for this exercise, management cares only about ONE thing; getting the client data back to the client. They do not care about recovering the actual NetWorker server at SunGard.

In fact, we will have a VTL at SunGard connected to their mainframe via ESCON channel to handle backups without NetWorker should the need arise. Back here at home, we have the same VTL connected to our mainframe and it backs up to disk storage that's controlled by a Linux box, which is itself a NetWorker client. This is the client I am interested in recovering at SunGard. What I need to do is recover the data from our production VTL to our DR VTL, then our mainframe people will verify that they can actually use the recovered data. Once that verification is done, we have no further use for NetWorker at SunGard for this exercise.