Networker

[Networker] Tips for doing a DR at SunGard

2008-01-16 09:29:01
Subject: [Networker] Tips for doing a DR at SunGard
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:24:04 -0500
Greetings everyone;

I am scheduled to do a DR test at SunGard on January 27th. This is a first for me. I am told I will have an LTO-3 tape library connected to a Sun box with Solaris 10. My production NetWorker server is 7.4 on a Sun T2000 with Solaris 10. I am scheduled to recover data from only one client, a Linux box and I will have another Linux box at my disposal at SunGard for this exercise. I am heading over to SunGard in a couple of hours to do a pre-flight check, but they said they won't allow me to log onto any of the test hardware until the day of the test, which is not good from my standpoint. I also will not have the benefit of my production server's media database and CFI for this test. Fortunately, the data is all straight text files, no database stuff and its only one client; the one that handles our University's most important data. For this test, I also only need to recover a subset of the files in order to verify that they can be read, but I am going to try to talk the others on the DR team to let me recover the full set of data so I can get an idea of how long the recover process would take in a real DR situation. The entire set of data is roughly 1TB.

Since I only have one client I need to recover, I am thinking I would just put the tapes in the SunGard tape library and start scanning them in order. For this particular client, I have an automated script that emails me daily the output of "mminfo -v " and I get that output both on my work email and my gmail.com address and I also automatically archive the results on a web site at work and on a google groups web site for safe keeping. I do the same for the daily bootstrap. Unfortunately, I do not have the means to do a test of this before the SunGard DR test; we lack the disk space.

So if anyone has any tips on how I should go about doing this recover at SunGard, please let me know.

Thanks

--
Stan Horwitz
Temple University

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information contained in this e-mail, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Temple University. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the e-mail. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.