Networker

Re: [Networker] Recommendations for new tape library?

2008-01-12 00:38:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recommendations for new tape library?
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:29:25 -0500
If you're considering replacing your tape library, now is the time to
consider a combo disk/tape solution.  Depending on the amount of data
and your config, you could have a system that allows you to store all
onsite backups on disk and only offsite backups on tape -- for
approximately the same cost as a tape-only solution.

I just delivered the results of a backup assessment at a new client
today, and they were the first client I've seen that had 100% success
rate on all their backups without professional assistance.  Their
secret?  ALL backups go to VTL before going to tape.  (They backup about
40 TB a day.)  Come on in, the water's warm! ;)

It may sound self serving for me to say this, but the complexity of the
new choices and the speed with which the market is changing right now
makes getting advice from an independent expert (who doesn't sell any
hardware or software) extremely important.  If they're any good, then
they should offset the cost of their services with savings and/or
significant increase in backup/recovery capabilities.  If that's
interesting to you, feel free to give me a buzz. ;)

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies