Networker

Re: [Networker] Encrpyption

2008-01-12 00:36:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Encrpyption
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:29:21 -0500
The loss of compression is only true if you compress AFTER you encrypt.  (I
believe that's what you were talking about, but just thought I'd clarify for
anyone who didn't realize that.)

AND you lose more than speed, BTW.  You also lose capacity, so you'll need
50-100% more tapes than you did before you enabled encryption.

All of the hardware solutions of which I am aware (Decru, Crossroads, TS1120,
LTO-4, T10000) compress before encrypting, so they don't have this issue.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies