Networker

[Networker] Preparing for levels and incrementals across 2 groups

2008-01-07 20:42:07
Subject: [Networker] Preparing for levels and incrementals across 2 groups
From: adarnell <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:49:45 -0800
I've searched the 7.4 Admin Guide and these forums but haven't been able to
find a solution.

My question:
With the same client writing to 2 different media pools (one for Onsite and one
for Offsite), if I put a leveled backup in my Onsite schedule and placed it to
where it would run on some day after an Offsite backup, but before the next
Onsite backup, would the leveled backup be "leveled" from the last Offsite full
or the last Onsite full that was made?

The reason I ask, I want to be able to do restores from just the tapes I have
in my library. If my leveled backups are being determined off the full backups
from my Offsite set, I'd have to go retrieve the tapes that are offsite and
load them into the library for a restore. Ideally, I'd like to have the levels
determine only from my Onsite fulls. I'm not sure if this question is confusing
for the Networker Guru's, but I've detailed my setup below if it helps.

My setup:
I'm running Networker 7.4 in a W2k3 environment. I have a client part of two
groups "Onsite Backups" and "Offsite Backups". In the "Onsite Backups" group,
the client override schedule property is set to "Onsite", which does a full
backup the first four fridays of a five week period. In the "Offsite Backups"
group, I have the group's client override schedule property set to "Offsite",
which does a full backup on the fifth friday of a five week period. This setup
gives me a full back up every week, but every fifth friday the backup is run
from the "Offsite Backups" group and is written to an "Offsite" pool instead of
my "Onsite" pool that the "Onsite Backups" write to.

Thanks,
Aaron