Networker

[Networker] FYI: Networker 7.4.1 no longer requires ClientPaks

2008-01-05 01:38:21
Subject: [Networker] FYI: Networker 7.4.1 no longer requires ClientPaks
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:36:11 -0800
Tim Mooney wrote:
> In regard to: [Networker] FYI: Networker 7.4.1 no longer requires...:
>
> Wow, that's a major change.
>
> Since that will save us thousands of dollars in licensing every year, I
> wonder if the cost of the client connections will go up dramatically,
> to compensate?  :-|
>
> Tim

That appears to have happened already, at least from Sun EBS version.

Current pricing of 25 connections on Sun Store comes out @ $360/each (100
connections does not get you a better discount, & 5 connections is $400/each).
Even with our reseller discount that will be higher than we're used to (approx
$250-275 I believe).

Anyway, that does not help me much, other than dodging a Linux ClientPak
license (we already have the UNIX one for HP-UX/Linux today [v7.1.3 Server] and
the Windows one since the server is Solaris).  Horrid timing for us too, as
we've gone two years without needing client connections and may need it this
year.

Now I just need to wait for Sun to get the EBS 7.4.1 patch out.

--T_S_Kimball

PS/OT:  Noticed that Sun is not selling the Tier 1 DBO license online.
Probably needs to be special order now, like our Tier 4 was.