Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on level 8 backup?

2007-12-24 00:46:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on level 8 backup?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 00:44:00 -0500
Gotcha. So I would need to run something like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, 2, 3, ... like that. Yeah, after looking at the help page under schedules for nwadmin, it says:

"For example, if a full save is done on Monday, followed by a level 3 save on Tuesday, and then a subsequent level 3 save on Wednesday, then Wednesday's level 3 backup would contain all files modified or added since Monday's full save, which was the most recent save done
at a level lower than 3."

I could have sworn, though, that I read somewhere that a differential backup of a level n would back up all files since the previous lower number *or* the same number if the last backup was the same level. So, if you ran a level 6 and then another level 6 that the second level 6 would simply go back to the previous 6, not the previous lower number. Maybe it's the Unix 'dump' utility I'm thinking of that has that feature?

Thanks.

George

McLeavey, Ian wrote:
A level 8 will backup data since the last lower level , but the same
level previously has no effect.

Two level 8's will back up all changes since the last full , or level 7
or below..

To get the effect of an incremental you need to increment the number
each time.

Ian.

Ian Mcleavey

Manager   - Global Enterprise Storage - Black & Decker