Networker

[Networker] Major problem with directive - need help please

2007-12-23 17:05:40
Subject: [Networker] Major problem with directive - need help please
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:02:34 -0500
Hi,

I'm having a serious problem with a server side directive that handles an actual file system mount point. This may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything about this specific problem.

I have a RedHat Linux client that is in two different groups. I want group 1 to back up 'All', but I want it to avoid a specific file system. I want group 2 to *only* back up that file system, and I want to able to browse the data, and I don't want to have to be forced to change the browse time to see it. Is there a way to exclude an actual file system itself from the backups for one NSR client resource
but include it for another?

Let's say '/0/data/joe' is the file system mount point. I have a custom server side directive for NSR client resource 1 of 2 (group 1) which includes the same lines from the Unix standard directives but also includes the following line:

<< /0/data/joe >>
+null: .?* *

Resource 2 of 2 (group 2) uses the Unix standard directives (server side) and lists the following save set:
/0/data/joe

Both groups are members of the same pool, and indexing is turned on for the pool. Both client resources have a one month browse policy. Since I want to be able to browse the backed up data, I'm using the '+null' rather than a 'skip'. In my testing, I observed that if I run an incremental on group 2 before running group 1 then everything is fine. However, if I add, modify or update the time on any data under /0/data/joe, and then I run group 1 before running group 2 then when I subsequently run group 1, it backs up nothing. I also tested this using savegroup estimates (savegrp -n -l incr group). If I run the backup for group 1 first then an estimate for group 2 shows 0 KB; otherwise, if I run the estimate for group 2 before running the actual backup for group 1 then it shows what I would expect.

Has anyone seen this weirdness before? I've tested this on several clients and different RedHat Linux OS versions. The same behavior occurs. We're using NetWorker 7.2.2 on Solaris 2.9 with two snodes. Both snodes are RH Linux with NW 7.2.2. All clients are using 7.2.2, but some
are at different OS releases.

The only thing I can think is that maybe NetWorker interprets a file system mount point in a directive differently versus a directory under that file system mount point? I've used the above technique before without any problems, *BUT* I wasn't specifying an actual file system mount point. Instead, I was always specifying a path at least one level further down, e.g.

<< /0/data/joe/mydir >>
+null: .?* *

and then the other client would use the save set:

0/data/joe/mydir

If I perform the same tests by modifying data under 'mydir' then everything works as expected. I would think that if it doesn't work when specifying a file system mount point then why would it work when specifying a subdirectory path under that file system?
It seems to me that both should work the same.

Obviously, enumerating the individual file systems instead of using 'All' would solve the problem because then I wouldn't have
to use a directive, but I'd really prefer to use 'All'.

Any ideas?

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210