Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning Backups

2007-12-19 14:54:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning Backups
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:47:51 -0600
I use this script to stage all savesets from the AFTD to tapes and it runs
according to what I set it in the cron.

/usr/sbin/mminfo -avot -q 'volume=U00001,copies<3' -r "ssid" >
/nsr/logs/unixssid.stage
/usr/sbin/nsrstage -b 'Unix Clone' -m -S -f /nsr/logs/unixssid.stage

>>> "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM> 19/Dec/2007 1:17 pm >>>
Michael,

We've always used automatic cloning without a problem*.  I like it
because it immediately verifies the readability of the original backup.
If your "monthly fulls" are in their own group is will be easy to turn
cloning on for them.  We automatically clone every backup and send the
clone tapes off-site (some one other than Iron Mountain) every working
day.

If you are going to manually clone I would think cloning by Save Set is
the way to go since there may be other save sets on a volume rather than
the ones you are interested in.  In the GUI (7.2.2 but there must be
something similar in later versions) under Save Set Clone you can query
save sets by date, pool, client, maximum level, etc. so getting the list
of save sets shouldn't be a problem.  Set your dates appropriately and a
maximum level of "full" (level 0)and you should have a list of save
sets.  I believe there's an "mminfo" query behind the Save Set Clone
that produces the information but I'm not familiar enough the mminfo
command to write it off the top of my head and can't take the time right
now to research it.

Dave

*Of course there is the occasional problem with a bad tape or bad drive
etc but nothing directly attributable to cloning rather than backups to
tapes in general.

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon