Networker

Re: [Networker] RE Index size notifications

2007-12-19 12:44:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] RE Index size notifications
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 04:38:46 +1100
On Dec 20, 2007 3:20 AM, Jeremie Lebec <Jeremie.Lebec AT devoteam DOT com>
wrote:

> Sorry, I made a mistake it was not the index folder but the index file
> Networker trying to compress.
> I am also not sure this is true anymore in the last versions of networker,
> but may this could help.
>
> Does anyone have a clue ?
> I am interresting too to know the right behavior of NetWorker.

Since indices are no longer monolithic data files, the notifications come in
much later. In earlier versions of NetWorker all indices were stored in a
series of 2GB files. If NetWorker could not construct a second copy (for
rebuild, recovery, etc) of all these 2GB files for a client, then it would
trigger the space-notification for the index region.

In more recent versions of NetWorker, each saveset gets its own set of index
files - from memory there are 3 files, and I'm assuming one is a data file
with the other two being meta-files of some sort. The data file is the
larger of the three, and that contains the index details for the individual
saveset.

NetWorker will trigger an insufficient space warning when there is not
enough space in the nsr\index or /nsr/index region to hold a second/rebuild
copy of the largest saveset data file, since it now processes index repair
and recovery activities on a per-saveset basis rather than stepping through
monolithic 2GB files.

Cheers,

Preston.

--