Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux to Solaris migration (7.3.3)

2007-12-09 23:15:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux to Solaris migration (7.3.3)
From: "T. S. Kimball" <t.s.kimball AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 23:07:34 -0500
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:19:32 +0930, Alan Rubin <Alan.Rubin AT NT.GOV DOT AU>
wrote:
>recoverpsm: Restoring database lgto_gst
>12/07/07 07:39:58 recoverpsm: FAILED 08004 -97 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive
>Server Anywhere]Database page size too big
>
>As I'm sure everyone knows, no matter how many times or for whatever legitimate
>reasons people do this, EMC does not support shifting from one platform to the
>other, so support isn't able to give us much help with this issue.  Does anyone
>have any ideas on how this could be done?  We think there could be an endian
>issue causing this in the shift between filesystems and architectures (ext3 to
>ufs; x86_64 to Sparc).  We thought maybe we could load Sybase up and dump the
>database on one end to files and then load the files in to the database on the
>other end, but we need a username and password to do this.  Does anyone
have any
>of those?  I don't think it would be a site specific one.  Any other useful
>suggestions would be welcome as well.

In this case, the problem is more likely Sybase and not EMC.

When dumping a Sybase database to go between platforms, it has to be dumped
in a special way for what it calls 'cross-platform loading.'  The NMC
database dump is probably not doing an ordinary dump/load operation per what
the 'normal' Sybase (in our case ASE 12.5.x) can do.

On top of this, there are caveats to this form of transfer:  1) indexes may
need to be rebuilt from scratch, 2) Sybase will require an additional stored
procedure to be run for some post-loading conversions, 3) even with all
this, databases with special setups may not convert properly anyway.  I
don't know if SQL Anywhere (the version that is used for these databases)
even has these features built in - My money says no, given that it's
practically freeware now.

Unfortunately, the simplest solution is to have the old copy on-hand and
running for old queries and start over from scratch on Sparc.

If you do get access to the 'sa' user (or one with that role) shoot an email
off-list and I'll send the basic command list.

--TSK