Networker

Re: [Networker] jbconfig in 7.4 selects wrong SCSI bus for robot?

2007-12-07 11:36:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] jbconfig in 7.4 selects wrong SCSI bus for robot?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:32:38 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] jbconfig in 7.4 selects wrong SCSI bus for...:

On 12/7/07 6:22 AM, Davina Treiber wrote:
Tim Mooney wrote:
All-

Has anyone ever seen inquire and/or jbconfig report that a robot is on
a different SCSI b/t/l combo than the OS reports?

The library (a partitioned L700) and drives are connected over fibre via
a QLA2342 dual-port FC HBA.  The 2.6 kernel probes the busses in a
different order than the 2.4 kernel did, so the QLA2342 HBA now appears
as SCSI bus 2 & 3, whereas before it appeared as 0 & 1.  That meant a
re-run of jbconfig.

Are you saying you are seeing multiple copies of the same controller port?

No, the robot only show up once, it just show up on a different
bus/target/lun than what the OS reports.

Or just that with the new OS it changed the c.t.l of the controller port?

The newer version of the OS changed it, but that's not unexpected.  We've
seen that before with the switch from the 2.4 kernel to the 2.6 kernel.

The real problem (I think) is that inquire and jbconfig don't agree with
the OS on where some of the devices are.  inquire and jbconfig say bus 1,
while the OS reports there's absolutely nothing on bus 1.

I have an open issue with EMC because inquire and jbconfig on Solaris 9 are seeing multiple copies of both my jukeboxes that are fibre attached (one via SAN and one direct). ... so, if you are seeing the same thing that would help my sanity level :-)

Sorry I can't help your sanity level, as this problem seem different than
yours.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)