Networker

[Networker] Identifying Individual Client Failures

2007-12-07 10:55:56
Subject: [Networker] Identifying Individual Client Failures
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:49:26 -0500
The environment: NetWorker 7.2.1 on Solaris

The requirement: Whenever a savegroup fails, automatically open a ticket for
each failed client in the group

The approach: Under 7.2.1 this is easy. Log entries for failed savegroups
look like this:

Dec  6 21:54:57 servername root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] NetWorker savegroup
: (alert) Default completed, total 17 client(s), 0 Hostname(s) Unresolved, 3
 Failed, 14 Succeeded. (clientname1, clientname2, clientname3 Failed)

A script scans the logs looking for failed savegroups and opens a ticket for
each client listed within the parentheses at the end of the message.

The problem: Starting with 7.3.x, the client names are no longer reported in
the log entries. The script will know something failed but won't know what.

EMC's response was, "as more gets rolled up into GUI based monitoring (EBA &
NMC) I expect that this will continue to be a challenge. For example, NW 7.4
will introduce a new daemon.log formating."

I've tried using a construct based on the fact that error lines in
completion messages start with asterisk. The problem with that is that it
reports things than don't cause the savegroup to fail, so we'd be opening
tickets for things that are not currently considered failures.

Has anybody addressed this situation in v7.3+ who might have hints, tips or
suggestions?

Thanks,

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.