Networker

Re: [Networker] How to debug savepnpc problems

2007-12-05 09:45:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to debug savepnpc problems
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:35:26 +0000
ktung wrote:
Hi there,

Have you resolved the post cmd not executed problem? I have the same problem.
> My precmd runs fine and exited with 0 as the precmd.logs says, the saveset
> also runs fine. The savepnpc.log has one entry says
> preclntsave: All command(s) ran successfully.". However, there is no
> entry for pstclntsave in the log and the /nsr/tmp directory has the following
> files: ClearCase.lck, ClearCase.tmp, ClearCase.res.lck,
> product.res.lck,  and nsrla.res.lck.
(I manually delete those ClearCase* files there everyday even
> those I'm using the savefixpnpc V6.1.1 as posted by Dave Driver).

We are using NetWorker 6.1.1 and my /nsr/res/ClearCase.res is listed as follows:
type: savepnpc;
precmd: /nsr/bin/precmd.sh >> /nsr/logs/precmd.log 2>&1;
pstcmd: /nsr/bin/pstcmd.sh >> /nsr/logs/pstcmd.log 2>&1;
timeout: "9:00am";

#end

I needs to find out why NetWorker doesn't run pstcmd.sh for a clean exit 0 of
the precmd.sh and ignore the timeout. (Yes, there is a blank line after the
timeout line.)

Thanks,
KT

You should not need to remove any of those files if savepnpc is running correctly. If the Clearcase.tmp file exists at the start of the next run, savefixpnpc will remove it, however it should not be leaving this file in place anyway. It is possible that there is a pstclntsave process holding on to this file.

Quite honestly, savepnpc on v6.1.1 is a lost cause. There were lots of bugs that have since been fixed. 6.1.1 is unsupported and VERY VERY old. If you upgrade to 7.anything, all this nonsense with the tmp file goes away because the original bug got properly fixed by the founder of Legato, after lots of attempts by clueless junior engineers.

At version 7.0 and above, savefixpnpc is redundant, it has not been maintained since it is no longer needed. A bit like QEMM with Windows 95, if anyone can remember that. ;-)