Networker

[Networker] VSS issue

2007-11-28 13:09:55
Subject: [Networker] VSS issue
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:05:59 -0800
As noted in a message last week I moved our Networker Server to new
hardware on Friday.  Other than the expected loose ends it mostly worked
as planned.  BTW, I took Thierry Faidherbe's advice and just copied the
./res, ./mm & ./index directories across rather than the special backup.
The worst problem was that the guy who set up the hardware had left the
particular SCSI interface I needed to use disabled in the BIOS and it
took me 2.5 hours of troubleshooting to figure that out.

The current setup is Networker Server 7.2.Build.494 on Windows 2003
Server.  Most clients are also Networker 7.2 or 7.1.

So, yesterday I come in and discover that backups from a client (that
happened to be the old Networker Server) had failed with the message:

xxx is a VSS SYSTEM save set name and is invalid for use with this save
operation; VSS is either disabled or a VSS license was not obtained.

???!  We're not using VSS anywhere so what's going on?  Ok, I figured it
was something to do with the old server interacting strangely with the
new one so I uninstalled and reinstalled the Networker software.  I come
in this morning and discover that this client backed up ok but the
problem had migrated to another client.  The client that has the problem
now is alphabetically just before the one that had the problem yesterday
and it is running the Networker 7.3 client because it's a 64 bit SQL
Server system (on W2K3) but I doubt that either of those things has
anything to do with it.

I have checked with EMC support but didn't find anything that appeared
to apply to this situation.  Again, we are not using VSS in any way so I
don't understand why I'm having the problem.

So if I uninstall/reinstall the client on the new system with the
problem will it just migrate to another client?  Is there some way to
clear up this problem before I go through all of the clients?  Any
advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon
dave.werth<at>garmin.com

use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
Thank you for your cooperation