Networker

Re: [Networker] Persistent binding on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.6.9-42.ELsmp)

2007-11-27 16:44:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Persistent binding on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.6.9-42.ELsmp)
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:32:49 -0500
Hi Stan

If you use a FC driver level tool (like SANsurfer), you can create a persistent
binding between a WWNN/WWPN/Port ID on the SAN and a SCSI target on your host.
This form of persistent binding is not very interesting to backup applications
like NetWorker, which uses a higher-order construct (the device file, like
/dev/nst0) in its statically-defined resource definitions. So, even if the
target ID for a tape device doesn't change, the order in which device files are
assigned to tape devices can change, if another device is added to, for
instance, a FC bus that is scanned earlier in the system boot process.

Therefore, you want to use a persistent naming scheme for the device files that
NetWorker uses.  Since you are using a Linux 2.6-based distribution, the
correct method of creating persistent names is with udev.  A number of backup
administrators have begun writing their own udev rules to create persistent
names for their tape devices.  These rules are fairly arcane, and take quite a
bit of study and tinkering.  Plus, most of the rules that I've seen developed
are specific to the devices in each environment, right down to the serial
number of the tape drive.  Thus, these rules are not flexible, and need to be
maintained.

It's an (apparently) little-known fact that SLES 9 and SLES 10 have udev rules
that automatically create persistently-named symbolic links for tape devices in
the /dev/tape/by-id directory.  The next releases of RHEL 4 and RHEL 5 will
follow this convention, too.  Using these persistently-named symbolic links
when configuring backup applications would allow a persistent path between the
backup application and the target device.

We should expect, and encourage, NetWorker and other backup applications to
evolve to use these persistent names.

tl

Terry Lemons
Backup Platforms Group