Networker

Re: [Networker] Max Sessions ignored, Target Sessions seems to be hard limit

2007-11-20 23:45:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Max Sessions ignored, Target Sessions seems to be hard limit
From: Tim Nicholson <tim AT MAIL.USYD.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:26:32 +0545
I am afraid that "not restricting the pool to devices" is the problem.

When target sessions is reached on a device, it looks for free devices
that can be used for the pool (regardless of what is mounted on the device). If any of these devices has media for that pool and has not reached its target sessions, it will be used. However if there are no such devices, it expects
appropriate media to be mounted on that device and to use it.

This means that to exceed the target sessions for any device, there must be no
other device free that can mount media for that pool.

I found this out the hard way. With some versions, it is not even good enough to disable a device, NetWorker still thinks it can be enabled and have media
mounted!  Again, bitter experience.